Friday 13 January 2017

French New Wave Design Brief

Post analysing the French New Wave movement, and conducting research into the films of famous nouvelle vague directors such as Francois Truffaut, Jean-Luc Godard, Claude Chabrol, etc. I have decided that for my own French New Wave short film, I plan on detailing people's lives away from the light, showing what people are like when they are away from sight. I intend on showing a sort of rebellious side to the characters to conform to the New Wave genre.

My intentions are that the short film is recorded as soon as possible after the planning period. I believe this will be useful as it will encourage more 'natural' acting from my characters, thus aiding the narrative in sounding less pre-established; another French New Wave convention, another method I intend on capturing my footage in a natural, outdoor location; a location my actors/actresses are accustom to and know well. I would like to utilise the 'breaking the fourth wall' technique, although this may clash with no-dialogue structure i hope to implement into my film. In order to incorporate the breaking the fourth wall technique into my film without the use of dialogue, I will have to explore unorthodox methods within the French New Wave genre. One method that comes to mind, is having the actors/actresses communicate directly to the audience through body language and physical movements. My reason for not including dialogue in my French New Wave film is the opportunity of adopting my own unique filming style is an offer I feel cannot be left beckoning.


No comments:

Post a Comment