Tuesday 18 October 2016

French New Wave Filming Brief

Post-studying the French New Wave movement and analysing Jean-Luc Godard directed films; Alphaville, Breathless and Vivre Sa Vie, I have come to the conclusion that for my own personal French New Wave project, that I am going to capture ordinary, everyday life. This is a common narrative theme in the French New Wave movement, particularly in my research subject's films; Godard. My plan is to capture a day in the life of a subject that I am fond of to mimic the manner in which Godard often incorporated actors and actresses that he was familiar or found interest in. For example; Anna Karina, an actress that featured in the vast majority of Godard's early work, was actually his wife for several years. I intend on keeping my project short, a film roughly 4-5 minutes long. My project is set to follow a non-linear narrative about adolescent youths entertaining themselves throughout the day.

My film will be recorded in natural locations around the Leicestershire and Warwickshire areas; the regions in which I live and attend college, however, I intend to acquire footage in public, familiar locations to both me and my subjects. I believe that shooting in a location that myself and my subjects are accustom to will add a sense of familiarity that enables the actors/actresses in my film to feel more relaxed and thus project a more realistic representation of the French New Wave movement. Another common convention of the French New Wave movement is to shoot in public, natural locations, with improvised dialogue. For that reason, I have also decided to take inspiration from other films in this genre, and incorporate these courtesies into my own project.

No comments:

Post a Comment